We’re pleased to share that Stephanie Gurr, Senior Data Manager at VERTEX, was featured in the article “Industrial Minerals Review” by Mike O’Driscoll published in the July 2023 issue of SME Mining Engineering Magazine. The section of the article, titled “Phosphate Rock” that Stephanie co-authored with T.M. “Mike” Gurr, Gurr Professional Services, Inc., presents significant insights into the state of phosphate rock production in the United States during the 2022 crop year (July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022).
The key findings of this section includes:
- A decline in phosphate rock production from 22.4 million metric tons (Mt) in 2021 to 20.7 Mt in 2022 in the U.S.
- A decrease in domestic consumption of phosphate rock to 23.7 Mt in 2022 compared to 24.4 Mt in 2021.
- Reduced imports of phosphate rock, which totaled 2.42 Mt in the 2022 crop year, primarily from Peru and Morocco, down from 2.54 Mt in 2021.
- A decrease in producers’ stocks of phosphate rock, declining by 0.8 Mt from 10.9 Mt in crop year 2021 to 10.1 Mt in crop year 2022.
- The contribution of nine mines in four states to phosphate ore production, reaching approximately 21 million metric tons in 2022, with New Mexico leading in production.
These findings emphasize the evolving dynamics in the mining and industrial materials industries, marked by shifts in production, consumption, and trade patterns. The future trajectory of these sectors will be influenced by market demand, innovation, and exploration of new sources.
For a comprehensive read, please download the full featured section of the article below or visit the magazine’s website for additional information.
Download the Full Article