After 10 years of sitting vacant, the 75,000 SF historic school built in 1923 received a $20 million renovation bringing it into the 21st century while maintaining its historic character. A new gymnasium was added to the exterior of the building that had to be set below the exterior grade to match the ground floor. This required extensive temporary shoring and permanent underpinning of the existing three-story unreinforced brick walls. New floors were added into the existing boy’s and girl’s gymnasiums which added additional classrooms. New columns for these floors were supported on new steel helical piers installed inside the building alongside the existing conventional foundations. New steel braced frames were added to the interior of the building to bring the school up to code for seismic forces.